Chris Tobe, CFA, CAIA is a leading supporter of index funds globally. In the last few years he is best known as a national proponent for Public pensions using more index funds and fewer higher fee alternative investments. Throughout his consulting career to both DC & DB plans he has been a proponent of low fee index funds and has worked with a number of plans on primarily S&P 500 Index mandates but has worked on customized indices as well as fixed income indices. As a trustee and investment committee member of a public plan he supported a $2.3 billion allocation to equity indexes. At AEGON he managed an $1 billion enhanced index annuity-based product for a dozen large DB plans such as Exelon, Florida Power & Light, McDermott, & Federated Department Stores
He has published two articles on indexing, one of which is used in the curriculum for an investment consultant designation (CIMA). He has given 5 conference presentations on indexing, 3 at the superbowl of indexing where he had many discussions with index luminaries like Jack Bogle and others.
- Guaranteed Enhanced Indexing – Its Simplicity and locked-in Alpha make it worth a look – Journal of Index’s 4th quarter 2003 Chris Tobe www.journalofindexes.com/
- Tracking Error- Assessing Index Fund Performance The Journal of Investment Consulting, Vol. 2, No. 1, Nov. 1999 Christopher Tobe http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=145158> (Reprinted in CIMA readings 2000)
- Mentioned as contributor to – Real World Index Annuity Returns by Dr.David Babbel
- INDEXING 101 INCLUDING MANAGER SELECTION, TRACKING ERROR, FEES, SECURITIES LENDING, FULL-REPLICATION AND OPTIMIZATION
- https://www.imn.org/PrinterFriendly/14th-Annual-Super-Bowl-Of-Indexing-Conference-2009/Sponsor_Information.html Super Bowl of Indexing December 2009 Phoenix
- Social Investing in Index Funds IMN- Frank Fabozzi’s Super Bowl of Indexing in December 99 Palm Springs
- Indexing Choices-Using Tracking Error as the Benchmark- Opal Institutional Capitol Investing Forum September 27, 1999 Washington DC
- Tracking Error in Index Funds IRR Bermuda April 99
- Tracking Error in Index Funds IMN- Frank Fabozzi’s Super Bowl of Indexing in December 98. Phoenix
- Client Service/Product Manager for $1 billion Enhanced Index Plan used by a dozen large DB plans such as. Exelon, Florida Power & Light, McDermott, & Federated Department Stores Director of Consultant Relations, educating consultants on stable value.