CHRIS TOBE, CFA, CAIA has 25 years of institutional investment experience in all investment classes but has worked with Hedge Funds, Private Equity and other Alternative Investments for 15 years.
He has been a critic of excessive fees and risks in alternatives and is very cautious in recommending their use.
Recently finished late 2016 major investment review of alternative investments for $40 billion Maryland Retirement System.
and major DB investment project for Utah Legislative Auditor
He started doing Hedge Fund and Private Equity education to plans as a consultant for Fund Evaluation Group in 1999 to the U.of Memphis, Creighton University, U. of South Carolina and Indiana State University Endowments. At NEPC (New England Pension Consultants) from 2008-2009 her served as a Sr. Consultant where he participated in a number of alternative searches for public plans. While at NEPC he earned the CAIA designation which is the leading professional designation for hedge funds, private equity and other alternative investments. Also at NEPC he consulted to the $850 million St. Louis Public School Employees and helped manage a $175 million alternative investment program that included diversity as one of its mandates. From 2008-2012 he served as a Trustee and Investment Committee Member for the $14 billion Kentucky Retirement Systems in which they grew from a few hundred million in alternatives to over $500mm in hedge funds and a $1 billion private equity program.
- Due Diligence Compliance in alternatives NY March 2010
- Distressed Assets IMN Public Pension Forum Phoenix March 2010
- Round Table Participant Pensions & Investments (P&I) Institutional Investments Forum (IIF January 2010 New York on Hedge Funds
- Distressed Investments Pension Bridge Private EquityConference Chicago July 2009
- Current Trends IFEBP Investments Institute, April 2009
- Distressed Assets Private Equity IMN Public Pension Forum March 2009
- The New Face of Hedge Funds: Where Are Investors Deploying Capital.” P&I AIMSE New York February 2009
- Hedge Funds in Public Pensions GAIM Hedge FundsConference Miami Public Pension Roundtable January 2009